Happy World Ocean Day! The health of the ocean continues to deteriorate, but exciting ideas and solutions highlighted at the 8th annual World Ocean Summit Virtual Week could accelerate the shift towards a sustainable ocean economy.
Speakers and delegates at the World Ocean Summit confirmed the prevailing hope that the main challenges facing the ocean can and will be solved—from accelerating sustainable aquaculture and ocean energy to decarbonising shipping and building a circular economy for plastics.
The solutions and technologies exist, many companies are already driving change in their supply chains, and there is growing demand from both investors and governments for a shift to sustainable blue activities. To accelerate a sustainable ocean economy, ocean industries will face major challenges, but also opportunities.
Read the full summary paper of the World Ocean Summit, with an outlook for the ocean economy by The Economist Group’s World Ocean Initiative: ocean.economist.com/outlook2021
Preview video below:
More posts on the ocean economy:
- How to accelerate ocean regeneration in Mexico
- Keynote speaker at Forum for the Ocean in Cancun
- My essay on marine natural capital published in official T20 compendium for India’s G20 presidency
- Moderating two panels on the blue economy for World Ocean Day
- Ocean Impact Podcast: how the ocean flows through all 17 of the UN SDGs