For World Oceans Day I moderated a World Ocean Summit Insight Hour on ocean innovation. The United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-30) has started. However, the UN Sustainable Development Goals on life below water (SDG14) remains the most underfunded goal. The ocean needs innovative, passionate leaders to drive the sustainable blue economy and ensure a healthy future. Scientists, academics, entrepreneurs and technology developers are pushing the frontiers of exploration and innovation to monitor ocean health, and counter the big challenges facing the ocean, including climate change, biodiversity loss and pollution.
Economist Impact’s Ocean Changemakers Challenge showcases leading changemakers working to develop business solutions to ocean-related sustainability challenges. The competition, now in its third year, is aimed at early-career researchers and professionals.
In celebration of World Oceans Day, this session will highlight the experiences of past winners and mentors, and identify what this year’s judges are looking for as they select the 2022 changemakers. Speakers will demonstrate the impact of entrepreneurs on the restoration of ocean health and advancing a sustainable ocean economy, and the crucial role of tech and innovation in making tangible change.
• What does it take to be a great ocean entrepreneur?
• What are the key challenges of working in ocean tech and innovation, and what lessons can be shared?
• How can great business ideas for ocean sustainability be scaled up?
• Blue carbon, coastal resilience, ocean literacy and ocean cities will be high on the agenda for next year’s World Ocean Summit. What are the opportunities for innovation in these areas?
Watch on demand here
More on the ocean economy:
- How to accelerate ocean regeneration in Mexico
- Keynote speaker at Forum for the Ocean in Cancun
- My essay on marine natural capital published in official T20 compendium for India’s G20 presidency
- Moderating two panels on the blue economy for World Ocean Day
- Ocean Impact Podcast: how the ocean flows through all 17 of the UN SDGs