I have been the head of The Economist Group’s World Ocean Initiative since September 2019. My mission is to support the sustainable development of the ocean economy by harnessing the convening power, research capabilities and media amplification of The Economist Group.
As head of the World Ocean Initiative I am primarily responsible for developing, shaping and implementing the Initiative’s vision and strategic objectives. This includes ensuring the Initiative’s leadership on global discussions on the Blue Economy as well as leading, developing and implementing the Initiative’s thematic areas of focus. I also lead the development of the programme for the World Ocean Summit, the premier global event at which policymakers, business leaders, campaigners and scientists gather for a full and frank discussion about building a truly “blue” economy. This means harnessing ocean resources for economic growth while at the same time protecting the environment and ensuring social equity.
Latest Ocean Posts
- Plastic Free July: The opportunities to tackle marine plastic pollution
- Innovation is at the heart of building a sustainable ocean economy
- International Plastic Bag Free Day: Progress on circular economy required to address plastic pollution
- High Seas: Shared stewardship for our global ocean
- If you could invest US$1bn in one ocean solution, what would it be and why?