I have a strong understanding of, and passion for, sustainability. My experience in sustainability includes the following:
- I am the lead editor and project manager of the Food Sustainability Index, developed by The Economist Intelligence Unit with the Barilla Center for Food & Nutrition Foundation: http://foodsustainability.eiu.com/. The project won the “brand and media owner partnership” category at the World Media Awards 2018.
As editorial lead I developed an editorial agenda to secure continued coverage of food-sustainability issues linked to key events, such as the World Economic Forum in Davos, World Water Day and World Environment Day. As part of the influencer engagement I secured the contribution of thought leaders such as Kofi Annan, former UN secretary-general; José Graziano da Silva, director-general of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the UN; and Vytenis Andriukaitis, European Commissioner for Health and Food Safety.
- I am also the lead editor and project manager of the Sustainable Infrastructure programme produced by The Economist Group and supported by UNOPS: http://unops.economist.com/.
- I have been a member of the Green Economics Institute, the world’s leading think tank and development incubator for Green Economics and the Green Economy: http://greeneconomicsinstitute.org.uk/.
- I have also been a member of the United Nations Environment Programme’s community of practice on Emerging Environmental Issues, which aims to bring new environmental issues to the attention of policymakers for action once credible scientific evidence has been established;
- An experienced public speaker, I have moderated many sessions at The Economist conferences on food systems, sustainability and the future of materials since 2015.
- I represented The Economist Group on Thomson Reuters’ expert panel on the Paris climate change talks.
In addition to my expertise in food sustainability and sustainable infrastructure, I have published widely on sustainability, including for example:
- Why fixing food systems is crucial for meeting the Sustainable Development Goals (Thomson Reuters Foundation);
- The emergence of ocean risk (World Ocean Initiative);
- Plastic pollution and food waste (Thomson Reuters);
- Food sustainability, pollution and child mortality (HuffPost);
- Rapid urbanisation, climate change and resource scarcity (EIU Perspectives);
- Food systems and Earth Hour (Thomson Reuters);
- The EU’s 2030 climate package (HuffPost);
- The Paris climate change talks (Thomson Reuters); and
- Reconciling economic growth and environmental protection (Green Economics Institute).
Latest Sustainability Posts
- Reminiscing about my work on food sustainability
- World Ocean Initiative and food sustainability highlighted at green economics conference
- Climate Risk Summit highlights need for action on physical and transition risks
- Food Sustainability Index presented at Cambridge Global Food Security Symposium
- Why infrastructure plays a critical role for the Sustainable Development Goals