Martin Koehring has a strong understanding of, and passion for, sustainability. His experience in sustainability includes the following:
He is the project director of the Food Sustainability Index, developed by The Economist Intelligence Unit with the Barilla Center for Food & Nutrition Foundation: http://foodsustainability.eiu.com/. The project won the “brand and media owner partnership” category at the World Media Awards 2018.
As editorial lead he developed an editorial agenda to secure continued coverage of food-sustainability issues linked to key events, such as the World Economic Forum in Davos, World Water Day and World Environment Day. As part of the influencer engagement he secured the contribution of thought leaders such as Kofi Annan, former UN secretary-general; José Graziano da Silva, director-general of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the UN; and Vytenis Andriukaitis, European Commissioner for Health and Food Safety.†He is also the lead editor of the Sustainable Infrastructure programme produced by The Economist Group and supported by UNOPS: http://unops.economist.com/.
He has been a member of the Advisory Committee for the UN Environment Programme’s Global Environment Outlook (GEO) for Business, which aims to bring the science of the GEO to the business community, and UNEP’s community of practice on Emerging Environmental Issues, which aims to bring new environmental issues to the attention of policymakers for action once credible scientific evidence has been established.
He has been a member of the Green Economics Institute, a leading think tank and development incubator for Green Economics and the Green Economy: http://greeneconomicsinstitute.org.uk/.
An experienced public speaker, he has moderated and spoken at The Economist’s leading sustainability and ocean conferences, including the World Ocean Summit.
He has also represented The Economist Group on various international expert panels and advisory boards, such as Thomson Reuters’ expert panel on the Paris climate change talks.
Martin Koehring has published widely on sustainability, including for example:
– A sustainable ocean economy in 2030: Opportunities and challenges (World Ocean Initiative)
– Why fixing food systems is crucial for meeting the Sustainable Development Goals (Thomson Reuters Foundation)
– Food sustainability, pollution and child mortality (HuffPost)
– Rapid urbanisation, climate change and resource scarcity (EIU Perspectives)
– The EU’s 2030 climate package (HuffPost)
– Reconciling economic growth and environmental protection (Green Economics Institute)
Latest Sustainability Posts
- Reminiscing about my work on food sustainability
- World Ocean Initiative and food sustainability highlighted at green economics conference
- Climate Risk Summit highlights need for action on physical and transition risks
- Food Sustainability Index presented at Cambridge Global Food Security Symposium
- Why infrastructure plays a critical role for the Sustainable Development Goals